Sequins are back in a big way this season, lighting up runways, red carpets and parties across the country. There’s no better way to add some serious glitz and glam to your next big night out than with a show-stopping sequin dress. The right sequin frock can make you feel like the main character in your own dazzling story.
Sequin party dresses are having a major moment right now. Whether you’re getting glammed up for a holiday soirée, a New Year's Eve bash or a friend’s birthday celebration, a sequined look is sure to make you shine brighter than a disco ball.
In this article, we’ll break down the hottest sequin party dress trends and styles for every body type and budget. Consider this your guide to finding your perfect sequin look to ring in the next party season. Get ready to sparkle!
Sequin Dress Trends
From slinky mini dresses to dramatic ball gowns, sequins are showing up on every style, length and silhouette this season. Here are some of the top sequin dress trends you’ll see at all the best parties:
- The Mini: Short and sassy sequined minis are super on-trend right now. Choose one that hits mid-thigh or shorter for a leg-baring look that’s sure to turn heads. Go for a bold color like emerald green or sapphire blue for maximum impact.
- The Slip: For an effortlessly chic vibe, try a bias-cut sequin slip dress. These shimmery silk dresses hug your figure beautifully. Look for cowl necklines or spaghetti straps to up the glam factor. A sequin slip dress pairs perfectly with simple pumps or heels.
- The Long Sleeve: Not a fan of baring your arms? Long sleeve sequin dresses are very en vogue. The sparkly sleeves add drama to otherwise understated silhouettes. Pick a geometric sequin pattern for retro disco flair.
- The Fringe: Tassels and fringe add fabulous movement and retro flavor to sequin dresses. A fringed flapper dress dripping in sequins screams Great Gatsby glamour. Fringe paired with sequins catches the light from every angle.
- The Halter: For a sexy, '70s vibe, rock a halter sequin dress that ties behind the neck. Halters are back in a big way and sequins make the look extra special. Go for a plunging neckline and low back for added va-va-voom!
Sequin Dresses for Every Shape
The great thing about sequins is they reflect light, so they can actually work to flatter and enhance every body type when cut correctly. Here are some tips on finding a sequin dress for your specific figure:
Pear shaped: To balance out wider hips, look for an A-line sequin dress with embellishments up top. Off-the-shoulder and boatneck styles are perfect for drawing eyes up and creating curves.
Best Sequin Dresses for Every Budget
The great news is you can sparkle in sequins on any budget. Here are some festive sequin looks at every price point:
Under $50: Check sites like Lulus and ASOS for budget-friendly sequin options. Consider sequined skirts or tops to pair with items you already own. Mini shift dresses and simple spaghetti strap styles shine bright without the sticker shock.
Under $100: Stores like Nordstrom, Ever Pretty UK and Revolve offer sequin dresses close to the $100 mark, especially on sale. Look for short strapless styles and slim long-sleeve shifts on the lower end of this range.
Under $250: For mid-range sequin dresses, turn to tried-and-true brands like French Connection, Club Monaco and Adrianna Papell. Here you’ll find knee-length, lace-embellished and wrap silhouette sequin looks.
Under $500: Up your sequin game with sparkly styles from Reformation, Halston and Ted Baker. Ultra-chic designs made of high-quality sequins, luxe fabrics and rich details live here.
Splurge: Go all-out glam in showstopping sequins from Badgley Mischka, Marc Jacobs and Self-Portrait. These jaw-dropping dresses pull out all the stops with gorgeous beading, ruffles and silhouette drama. The memories made will be priceless.
Must-Have Sequin Party Dresses
Want some specific sequin dress recommendations for your next big night out? Here are 7 stunning picks to consider for your wardrobe:
One-Shoulder Sequin Dress: This dazzling asymmetrical style reveals just the right amount of skin while fully covering one arm in glimmering sequins. The side slit is ultra-flattering.
Sequin Tulle Dress: Channel your inner flapper girl in this tulle & sequin number. The sequin bodice and tulle skirt design are flattering.
Gradient Sequin Dress: Why choose one sequin color when you can rock them two? This multicolored maxi dress ensures all eyes stay on you all night long.
Sequin Mesh Dress: Sheer mesh and sequin combine in this striking illusion dress. The nude lining and demure 3/4 sleeves keep it classy.
Sequin High Low Dress: Bare your shoulders in this brilliant dress with a plunging front sequin bodice and short tulle skirt. The high-low hem brings modern edge.
Floral Leaf Sequin Dress: Hundreds of sequins embroidered into pretty floral leaf shapes create a mesmerizing effect on this gown. Steal the show at any winter formal in this stunner.
Long Sleeve Sequin Dress: Stay comfortable and still dazzle in this elegant long sleeve maxi covered in all-over sequins. Complete the look with bold red lips.
How to Style Your Sequin Dress
Don’t over-accessorize an already glitzy sequin dress. Pick one or two statement accessories and keep the rest simple. For shoes, opt for metallic or nude pairs that elongate your legs without competing with your dress.
Minimal jewelry is best for highlighting sequined clothing. Small diamond studs or hoops allow the dress to shine. Leave long necklaces at home and consider a choker-length piece instead.
Sleek hair and makeup suit sequins best. Pull hair tightly up or back to keep the focal point on your sparkling dress. Go for bold lips, defined eyes and dewy complexion. Skip super long or voluminous lashes that might overpower your look.
Consider a fur stole or faux fur jacket in a coordinating metallic or nude shade to keep warm while still letting your sequins take center stage. Finish with a minaudière clutch adorned in sequins, beads or rhinestones.
How to Care for Your Sequin Dress
Sequins add lavish detail, but also require extra care. Follow these tips to keep your sequin dress looking fabulous:
- Hand wash only in cold water or opt for professional dry cleaning. Never machine wash sequins. The agitation can damage them over time.
- Use mild detergent without bleach or fabric softener. Harsher chemicals may dull or corrode sequin edges.
- Lay dress flat to dry on a clean towel. Never wring out or hang sequined fabrics. The weight of water can warp shapes.
- Steam sequin dresses rather than ironing to avoid flattening the embellishments. Use a low heat setting.
- Store sequin pieces lying flat in garment or cloth bags. Hanging puts strain on the thread attaching sequins.
- Make quick repairs immediately. Have loose sequins re-sewn to avoid snagging, tears and unraveling.
- Avoid rough surfaces that could snag your sequins. Reapply loose sequins after each wear.
Follow our sparkle-maximizing tips and your sequined style is sure to make a seriously unforgettable statement!